Friday, July 17, 2015

Insert Trendy Door Headboard Here

Everyone has seen the trend on Pinterest with the old re-purposed doors as headboards. I have been drooling over this idea for a long time, but due to certain restraints, I was unable to do it. With the freedom to do as I wish, this project was high on my agenda. Not to mention a bedroom is a persons sanctuary so I needed to get it done so I could have that safe and relaxing place to lay my head....hopefully without termites. On the shopping trip I posted about last post, I picked up this awesome door. Its the highly desired 5 panel set up and it was in this awesome green color which I was planning on painting it anyways. Also, it had natural distressing from years of wear so I didn't have to do anything to it to achieve that look. It was almost like it was meant to be....
So I scrubbed it down with vinegar water to remove as much of the grime as possible and to brighten the color. I gently went over it with a bristle brush to remove any loose paint chips. I removed the hardware and then got to work. Amazingly enough, this color green matched what was in my HGTV color pallet. I bought some fabric and fabric rope with enough left over to make a throw pillow or two. Never know where those might come in handy later. I sealed the door with 5 coats of semi-gloss wood finish to give a nice sheen and to keep anymore paint from chipping. Then I padded the panels and wrapped the padding with the fabric and bordered it with the rope finishing off the corners with some upholstery tacks.
I worked on this until the wee hours of the morning. I couldn't wait to see the finished product. I added a piece of crown molding at the top to finish it off so it wouldn't be an ugly rough edge. To mount it, I ripped a 1x4 down the middle at a 45 degree angle and secured one half to the head board and one half to the wall using anchors. I then hung the headboard on the piece mounted to the wall and with the weight of the door, it cinched in nice and tight and i can promise you, it is going nowhere.
It wasn't until I made the bed that I realized that I had sheets that matched the blues in the padded fabric. Its amazing how things just fall together sometimes. While unpacking my daughter, I found this throw pillow from an old bed set of hers that matched my greens and blue, so I reclaimed it as mine. I always have to add something a little extra, so I decided to add some lighting to finish the look and to give the room a soft glow as night.
Again, I know its a dark picture, but now you get the idea of the rope light. This is actually quite a large room and only maybe half of it is shown I have a few more pieces I need to finish first to complete the room. If you look carefully, you can see one throw pillow I made with the remaining fabric sitting on the yellow chair in the corner. While I didn't make that chair, I still had to assemble it and it was a great buy from Target. I highly recommend one.



No comments:

Post a Comment