Friday, July 17, 2015

Have I mentioned I love antiques?

Yes, yes I do. I love modern, but I also like to throw in a few antique accent pieces when I can. I love the character and they always make for a great conversation piece when people come to visit. Its even better when they are functional pieces and not just on display like you are at a museum. I found a neat little place a little over an hour away that had quite a few things I was looking for to start a few different projects. While there I came across an 1880's Eastlake Rocker that I had to have. I was keeping my eye open for an antique chair of some sort to refinish, but I didn't have a defined style I was looking for. When I saw this and the condition it was in, I fell in love and immediately started googling on my phone to see how much it was worth so I knew where to start my offer. I ended up paying about half of what he wanted, but partly due to the fact that I bought a lot from him that day. All in all I saved about 35% total off of everything and I'm not going to complain about that. The wood on the chair was in pristine condition. The fabric however, had to go. I know I said I wanted to add a pop of orange, but this wasn't it. The fabric was about 40 yrs old from the last person who refinished it, it stunk to high heaven, it was faded bad in some spots, and the padding needed to be replaced anyways. So a few hours in my garage and I had a fantastic piece to add to my living room. Its functional and gets used all the time. People that visit ask if its ok to sit in it and once they do, it becomes their favorite seat. My mother visited and I don't think she sat on the couch once. She was glued to this.Yet anther success in my quest for adult living.
For future reference, I will not be picking a striped pattern in the future. Talk about a pain to get lined up and not distort when pulling the fabric to secure it.

No comments:

Post a Comment