Friday, July 17, 2015

Barney has to go

So here's where the fun all begins.....in the living room. I have this awesome new house all on my own, but there is one glaring eye sore as soon as you walk in. It appears Barney has exploded all over the wall....in high gloss no less. Ugh.
This is obviously no good. Its dark, makes the room look small, and its just depressing. So off to Sherwin Williams I went to venture into the nightmare of finding colors that will all coordinate. I am not one of those artsy people so I was really hoping there would be one of those cool, hip young girls there who just have that flair for color and fashion sense. Nope. I was met by 2 bearded men and one boy who could tell me everything I needed to know about grades of paint and supplies, but the term color wheel was a foreign term. Thank heavens for HGTV and putting together their HGTV Home color guide which is a complete palate of colors that will go together no matter what combination you use. I chose the color pallet Rustic Refined and went with the copen blue for the living room.
3 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint later, I was finally able to put Barney to rest. I took this picture before the paint had dried (thats why there are still streaks), but I was so excited I couldn't wait. Such a huge difference! The room looked brighter and more open. My mood instantly changed and I felt happy and excited about the possibilities of having my first "adult" house that was all mine to do with as I wish. A third coat was applied the next day just to be safe. Barney needed to be left in the 90's where he belongs.
So here's the final result. Its a little dark, but I had to take the photo at night or else the glare from the window over powered the picture. Its also a little distorted from trying to do a panoramic to get most of it in. The house has this neat catwalk system around the top of all the rooms since the ceiling is so high. To me it was just begging for rope lights, so I added them and it gives a nice soft glow to the room at night for watching a movie. I know you cant see it well, but I added a small pop of orange to the mix with the curtains that wasn't in the color pallet. I went to the fabric store and made them myself. Yet another proud adult moment....lol. So living room is complete and I have to say, its very relaxing to sit in.


No comments:

Post a Comment